Probate and Estate Administration
When someone dies there is a lot to consider and organise. We can guide you through the process or we can deal with all the requirements depending on your needs. We have extensive experience in dealing with estates of all sizes and complexities including those with a business or agricultural element.
How we can help
It is first necessary to establish who is responsible for administering the estate, which will depend in the first instance on whether there is a valid will appointing Executors who are able and willing to take on the role. If not, we can help you determine who is eligible to take on the administration role. If there is a valid will, we will advise you on the meaning and effect of the provisions in the context of the estate. If there is no such will, we will help you to establish the rightful heirs under the rules of Intestacy set down by law.
Once instructed by the responsible party(ies), we will undertake such steps as are necessary to administer the estate including:
- Establish, safeguard and value all estate assets
- Establish and notify any creditors
- Complete all necessary paperwork including Tax Accounts to apply for the Grant of Representation (Probate or Letters of Administration) if required
- Upon receipt of the Grant, notify relevant asset holders and collect in or transfer assets to beneficiaries
- Pay all outstanding debts and administration expenses
- Pay any legacies
- Conclude Inheritance and Income Tax matters
- Complete and distribute Estate Accounts
- Account to the beneficiaries entitled to the residuary estate
We can act on any conveyancing transactions necessary to sell or transfer property from the estate; deal with any challenges to the estate, and advise in relation to Deeds of Variation which may be recommended for tax planning purposes. In some cases a will sets up a Trust and we can advise the Trustees upon the effective administration of the Trust and deal with all the formalities required.
The solicitors in our Wills, Tax & Probate team are full members of the Society for Estate Practitioners and have extensive experience in the administration of estates.< Back to Wills, Tax and Probate
‘I found the service I received from Hatch Brenner to be very helpful and professional. They supported me through a difficult time regarding my late husband’s estate. I am very pleased with the service I received and would highly recommend using Hatch Brenner.’
‘Hatch Brenner made a complex subject seem simple and straight forward.’
Please contact one of the team to discuss your specific requirements.